With more of us starting to return to the office as well as travelling abroad, burglaries are unfortunately on the rise again.According to recent data from Statista, in 2021 there were more than 267,000 burglaries in the UK. This equates to almost 750 burglaries a day. The bad news! These figures are likely to increase over the coming months as warmer spring weather also comes into play and properties are left unattended. The cost of living crisis will also exacerbate the situation. Some interesting but worrying statistics which are worth sharing with your clients:
- 38 % of burglaries happen during the day.
- In 64 % of burglaries, someone is on the property.
- 47% of burglaries are committed on the spur of the moment.
- In 2020, 70% of burglaries were committed by a single offender.
- 43% of burglars are acquainted with the people they target.
How and when do these burglaries take place?
- More than a third (38%) of burglaries occur during the day.
- A quarter of burglaries (25%) occur between midnight and 6am.
- In 64% of the cases, someone is at home during a residential break-in or an attempt of a home invasion in the UK.
- More than half (58%) of burglars gain entry through the front door.
- In 15% of burglaries, the premises are entered through an unlocked door. In one-third of incidents, the lock is forced opened, necessitating a costly repair.
- According to home burglary statistics for the UK, 47% of burglaries occurred on a spur-of-the-moment decision.
- In 20% of burglaries, the burglar enters through a window.
- UK burglary statistics for 2021 reveal that in 7% of cases, burglars showed up at the front door and pushed aside an occupant to enter the property.
So, what can your clients do to protect their homes and help mitigate the chances of being targeted?Download the guide for more details.The Good News! By using tips from the Markham Security Guide you can provide your clients with key methods to help protect themselves, their loved ones and their property. Deter – Detect – Defend